If you are running a business, then urgent printing work can come up at any moment. So you have to keep your Epson printer always print-ready. Epson printer not printing can be a big headache when you need your printer the most. Below are the 16 simple fixes for your Epson printer failing to print. Along with the solution, you will also find the correct set of steps to execute these hacks like how to fix Epson printer not printing black or printing blank pages after refilling ink, or when the ink is full. Below we have discussed Epson printer problems and solutions.
Why is Epson Printer Not Printing Black and Missing Colors?
Because of the following eight reasons, your Epson printing might not be printing:
- Your Epson printer is off.
- The paper tray of your printer may be out of paper.
- Occasionally, clogged nozzles are also a common reason for this problem.
- Many times not using the printer regularly can cause a dry ink issue, which can cause issues in delivering prints.
- Lack of proper USB connection with your PC.
- Unclean Epson printer print head might also not print.
- In the case of low ink levels, your printer may fail to print black ink and other colors.
- The placement of the Epson printer ink cartridges is incorrect.
- Epson printer driver not updated.
How to Troubleshoot Epson Printer Not Printing?
Now, let us begin fixing the problem of your Epson printer not printing. In the below sections, we have provided a detailed discussion on Epson printer problems and solutions. These fixes include cleaning the dirty printer heads on Mac and Windows, setting Epson printer as default, reinstalling the printer on your PC, ensuring the correct port, etc.
Fix 1: Clean Dirty Printer Heads
The print heads get dirty with dust when your Epson printer unused for long periods. It leads to issue like Epson 310 printer not printing correctly and the Epson L210 color printer not printing colors properly. You can use the Epson printer head cleaning mechanism to fix your issue. Follow the below steps to start cleaning printer heads.
Clean Print Head for Windows:
- Firstly, on your PC, go to the ‘Control Panel’ and click on “Hardware and Sound.”
- Secondly, you will see the option “Devices and Printers.” Select your Epson printer from the printer list.
- Thirdly, right-click ‘Epson printer’ and hit ‘Printing preferences’.
- Fourthly, a dialogue box will appear with three options. Select “Maintenance”.
- Fifthly, a new page will open. Hit the ‘Head Cleaning’ option. As soon as you hit on ‘Head cleaning’, your Epson printer will start cleaning the print heads. Ensure you do not disturb the printer when the head cleaning is in process. The head cleaning process can take up to 7 minutes.
- After the Epson printer head cleaning, a dialogue box will appear with two options, ‘Print nozzle check pattern’ and ‘Finish’. Click on the former option to print a test page, and now you will be able to check if your Epson color printer is producing colors accurately or not. If the print quality is not satisfactory, do the head cleaning again. You may have to run the process 2 to 3 times until you see the improved color quality from your Epson color printer.
Clean Print Head for Mac:
- Put paper in the paper tray of your Epson printer.
- Open ‘Mac OS Desktop.’
- Hit ‘Apple Menu.’
- Press “System Preferences.”
- Hit “Printer and Scanner.”
- Now, check for your Epson printer and click on it.
- Hit “Options & Supplies.”
- Go to the ‘Utility’ option.
- Tap ‘Open Printer Utility.’
- Next hit ‘Head Cleaning.’
- Finally, wait for the process to complete and then check for resolution of the problem.
Fix 2: Clean Print Head Manually
If the above fix does not work. Then, you have to take out the print head carefully and manually clean them. For manual cleaning, follow the below instruction:
Clean Using Distilled Water:
- Firstly, use a dropper to pour distilled water over the nozzles. As a result, the dust or dried ink will loosen up and fall.
- Secondly, soak the nozzles in distilled water overnight.
- Afterward, clean the nozzles and print 2 to 3 pages.
Clean Using Paper Towel:
- Use a paper towel soaked in distilled water or cleaner.
- Rub the print head with it for 10 minutes. It will remove any dust or dried ink.
- Now, print 3 to 4 test pages to check the color reproduction.
Fix 3: Set Epson Printer as Default
If you are getting an ‘Epson printer is not printing’ issue, it could be that your printer is not the default printer in the settings. To set your Epson printer as default, you can try the below nine steps.
- Firstly, on your PC, hit the ‘Start’ menu.
- Secondly, Tap ‘Settings’.
- Thirdly, hit the “Printer & Scanners” menu.
- Fourthly, visit ‘Devices.’
- Click on ‘Printer and Scanners’.
- You will see a printer list. Click your Epson printer.
- Hit on the ‘Manage’ option.
- Finally, press the ‘Set as Default’ button.
- Now, try to print. The printing error is fixed.
Please Note: If you cannot see the option of ‘Set as default’, then uncheck the box ‘Let Windows manage my default printer.’
Fix 4: Get New Epson Printer Ink Cartridge
Replace Epson printer ink cartridge if it is old or out of service. You can use a new ink cartridge for your printer. Ensure that you install it correctly. Then try to take a test print. If the old cartridge is faulty, the new one will fix the problem.
Fix 5: Reinstall Epson Printer on your PC
If the Epson printer is not printing anything, then reinstalling it on your computer can work. Below is a detailed procedure for reinstalling the Epson printer on Windows as well as Mac. Follow the instruction carefully before you perform them.
Reinstall Epson Printer on Windows:
- Firstly, open the ‘Control Panel’ on your Windows system.
- Secondly, go to ‘Programs’.
- Hit ‘Programs and Features’.
- Right-click Epson printer and choose ‘Uninstall’.
- Next, switch off your PC and Epson printer.
- Detach your printer from your PC.
- Wait for 5 minutes, then restart your Windows system and Epson printer.
- Connect your Epson printer with your PC.
- Now, to reinstall the Epson printer on Windows hit the ‘Start’ menu.
- Go to ‘Settings’.
- Click on ‘Devices’.
- Tap ‘Printers and Scanners’.
- Tap ‘Add a printer or scanner’.
- Perform the instructions on your screen to complete the reinstallation procedure.
Reinstall Epson Printer on Mac:
- Hit ‘Apple Menu’ on your Mac.
- Click on ‘System Preferences’.
- Tap ‘Print & Fax’.
- Choose the Epson printer and press the minus-sign button to uninstall it.
- Click on ‘Ok’ to confirm.
- Then access the ‘Hard drive’.
- Go to ‘Library’ and select ‘Printers’.
- Click on the ‘EPSON’ folder. Now, drag it to the trash. Now successful removal of Epson printer drivers downloaded on your Mac will take place. You will be required to reinstall these later.
- Now, clear the trash.
- Restart Mac.
- Visit the ‘Support Printer model page’.
- Download the printer driver.
- Install the downloaded file and follow the instructions.
- Hit ‘Quit’ when the installation is complete.
- Open the ‘Apple Menu’.
- Select ‘System Preferences’.
- Click on ‘Print & Fax’.
- Check if your Epson connection to Mac is via USB. Then, it will be visible in the list automatically. If it is a network connection to Mac, hit the plus-sign button to add it.
- Hit ‘More printers’, choose Epson TCP/IP, and select your printer.
Fix 6: Ensure Correct Port for Epson Printer
An improper port during installation can very well be the reason for your Epson printer unable to print. To change the printer port without reinstalling your device, you can follow these eight steps.
- Firstly, open the ‘Control Panel’ on your Windows system.
- Secondly, hit ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Thirdly, choose your printer. Right-click on it and choose ‘Printer properties’.
- Fourthly, hit on the ‘Ports’ tab and press ‘Add port’.
- Choose ‘Standard TCP/IP Port’ and hit ‘New port’.
- On the next page, hit ‘Next’.
- Hit the ‘Apply’ button.
- Finally, restart your computer and printer.
Fix 7: Update Epson Printer Driver
If your Epson printer is not printing, then updating the printer drivers can be a solution. Below are the 5 simple techniques to update the Epson printer driver.
- Firstly, hit the ‘Start’ menu, enter ‘Device Manager’ and press ‘Enter’.
- Secondly, choose your printer.
- Thirdly, right-click on your Epson printer and hit ‘Update Driver’.
- Fourthly, ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’.
- Finally, follow the instructions on your window screen to complete the procedure.
Fix 8: Remove Long Print Queues
If you are using the Epson printer for a considerable time, you should know that a long print queue issue can happen. This long queue issue can stop your device from printing cleaning this queue can fix this issue. You can fix this issue in 10 steps.
- Firstly, on your PC, hit the “Windows” and “R” keys together.
- When the Run box opens, run the Services.msc
- Check for ‘Printer Spooler’ and right-click on it.
- Then click on Stop.
- Open ‘Desktop’ and access File Explorer’.
- Type ‘%Windir%\System32\Spool\PRINTERS’ in the ‘Address Bar’.
- Remove all the files in this folder.
- Go to ‘Print Spooler Properties’ again.
- Right-click on ‘Printer Spooler’ and press ‘Start’.
- Finally, the problem is over after the process finishes.
Fix 9: Speed Up Epson Printer
Your Epson printer may face difficulties in printing just in case it is slow. We know the easy way to speed up your Epson printer. The below steps will fix your printer.
1. Firstly, go to “Desktop” on your system.
2. Secondly, click twice on the Epson printer icon.
3. Thirdly, open the ‘Print Settings’.
4. Fourthly, click on the ‘Advance’ tab.
5. Now, set the speed to high.
6. Perform a test print to see the matter now.
How to Troubleshoot Epson Printer Not Printing Black?
At the startof this post, we discussed why your Epson printer would notbe printing black. In this post, you will find the fixes to correct this issue. These fixes involve restoring the print settings to default, installing the Epson printer ink cartridges correctly, and checking the amountof black ink.
Fix 10: Restore Printer Settings to Default
There could also bea situation when the users start reporting Epson printer not printing after changing ink because the printer settings arechanged. To restore the printer to default settings and fix the issue, follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. For 6 seconds press the switch next to the ‘Power’ switch of your Epson printer. The power LED will start blinking. Wait for the green blinking light to stop.
2. Successful resolution of the color system if the green light stops flashing on the ‘Power’ button. Take a print to check the color quality. It will presumably fix the issue of the Epson printer not printing black color.
Fix 11: Position Epson Printer Ink Cartridge Properly
If your Epson printer does not print black, then you ought to make sure that the cartridge is in the correct position. To place it in the right way, read the four short steps given below.
1. Firstly, access the cabinet of your printer.
2. Secondly, take out the black ink cartridge.
3. Thirdly, place it back correctly.
4. Finally, close the cabinet of the device.
Fix 12: Check Black Ink Levels
Low levels of black ink in your Epson printer might be the reason that the device is unable to print black. We will recommend checking the black ink status. The following four steps will help you to do so.
1. On your PC desktop, double-click the Epson printer icon.
2. Select the tool “Epson Status Monitor 3”.
3. Run this tool and check the extent of the black ink.
4. In case the black ink levels are down, then get the cartridge filled.
How to Troubleshoot Epson Printer Not Printing Properly?
At times, your Epson printer might not print correctly. It may deliver low-quality prints, prints with gaps, printer printing blank pages issue, or prints with misalignment. In the following sections, you will learn to repair these issues by ensuring the ink levels, checking paper settings, using Head Cleaning Utility, and accessing the Advance Settings.
Fix 13: Ensure Ink Levels in Epson Printer
When the ink levels are low, you will find that your Epson printer is not printing correctly. Using the Epson Status Monitor 3 tool, you can check the ink levels of your device. Below is the step-by-step procedure.
1. Firstly, open the ‘Control Panel’ on your system.
2. Tap on ‘Devices and Printers’.
3. Right-click on your Epson printing device within the Window.
4. Choose the option of “Printing Preferences.”
5. Go to the “Maintenance” tab.
6. Tap the “Epson Status Monitor 3” tool.
7. The ink levels within the cartridge are going to be visible within the new window.
8. Just in case the ink levels are low, refill the cartridge to resume printing.
Fix 14: Check Settings for Paper
In certain instances, your Epson printer might not print correctly and deliver low-quality prints. There could also be a mistake with the settings for the paper. In just four small steps, you will check these settings.
1. Firstly, on your open ‘Epson Menu’.
2. Secondly, go to the “Main Menu.”
3. Choose “Media Type.”
4. Ensure the settings for the paper.
Fix 15: Use Head Cleaning Utility
Your Epson printing device may print with too many gaps due to several reasons. To fix this issue, try the following steps.
1. Firstly, open ‘Media Type’ within the ’Main Menu’ of the device.
2. Secondly, check for papers.
3. Thirdly, make sure the date of the expiration of the cartridge.
4. Finally, launch “Head Cleaning Utility”.
Fix 16: Use Advance Settings for Misalignment
The problem of the Epson printer not printing straight can emerge when your device is just too quick. It can cause misalignment. To fix this issue, use the Advance Settings. Below we have shown how to use these settings.
1. Firstly, access the Epson Printer window.
2. Secondly, open the “Print Settings”.
3. Thirdly, tap the “Advance Settings” tab.
4. Fourthly, set the printing speed to low.
5. Finally, Now, take a print.
Frequently asked questions on net
Why Epson printer not printing after refilling ink or when the ink is full?
Check if the cartridge vents are blocked. Try using a different ink cartridge to evaluate if your printer is ready to identify cartridges. If your Epson seemed to work with an old cartridge, try to re-install that old cartridge and see if your printer produces any output – any shade of grey will do.
How to clean Epson printer head nozzles, which are blocked or clogged
Remove the cartridges and spray in the holes where the ink flows into the printhead with some Windex. You can leave this for several hours or even overnight until all the dried ink is dissolved within the printhead.
Why is Epson printer not printing black
The levels of the ink may be low and you may need to refill the ink. Visually check the level of the ink. Also make sure that you have filled the tanks with the correct colours of the ink. After printing, the printout colors require time to set as the ink dries.
Using the above methods, you can fix the Epson printer not printing blank ink and missing colors. We hope the fixes help you resolve the trouble and make printing possible once again.
Hopefully, this was your Ultimate guide on Epson printer not printing black or printing blank pages after refilling ink, or when the ink is full. Also check our other posts for Epson printer problems and solutions like Epson printer offline, how to troubleshoot an Epson printer, Epson printer printing blank pages and other issues too.